Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Titanic

One of my husband's and my favorite ways to pass a weekend was to find a road that looked like it went nowhere and drive it. A couple of times we had significant adventures, and we frequently got lost. Not lost as in, turn-around-and-go-back-the-way-you-came lost, but are-we-still-in-the-state-and-I-don't-think-we-can-get-around-that-tree-a-second-time-if-we-turn-around lost.

On one Sunday trip, we drove for about six hours. We were, of course, the second type of lost and I don't remember very much of the journey that got us that lost. I do remember a vista of a mountain valley spreading as far as I could see when the goat trail we seemed to be on wobbled a bit too close to the break in the trees that revealed the edge of the cliff. I leaned over and saw the top side of an eagle. I only wish I was joking.

At the time, I didn't really recognize my own mortality, being only 20 and stupid in love, so instead of panicking about the drop, I became really, really excited about the eagle. So excited was I, in fact, that I even forgot how low we were on gas. As I bounced and tried to catch another glimpse, Ben clenched the steering wheel and navigated a tight curve. He said nothing to temper my enthusiasm, probably because the babbling was better than the nagging I had been doing moments before when he pointed out the gas needle and the fact that it had been three hours since we'd left a recognizable road to venture into this wilderness.

The road meandered away from the cliff side and trees draped to create a tunnel again. After a couple more minutes, while I replayed the eagle vision in my head, we came around another bend where the sunlight just broke through the trees across a small pond, or a giant puddle depending on your viewpoint, created by a dip in the road and left behind by a rainfall.

The majesty of the place was indescribable. Still on a high from seeing an actual eagle, Ben stopped the truck and we just looked, instinctively holding hands at the majesty that nature had spread before us.

As we looked, I noticed a leaf, perfectly cupped with its stem bent into a perfect curve, floating docilely on the surface of the puddle. Between the tree tunnel, the majesty of the mountain view, and the perfect ray of sunlight highlighting the area, my ever-present romance took over.

In a hushed whisper, I said, "Ben, look! It's a fairy boat!"

And it was. If one drew a leaf so that it resembled a gondola, this leaf is what it would look like. When it drifted into the sunlight, I could almost see the little fairy poling it along. I created a whole scenario in my head in seconds and Ben, knowing my penchant for fantasy, leaned over and gave me the sweetest kiss, looking into my eyes and saying, "I love you."

Then he withdrew his hand from mine and reached to put the truck in gear.

"No!" I protested. "You'll sink the fairy boat!" This event would ruin the picnic they had planned later in my imaginary scenario.

Ben didn't protest or laugh at me; he actually looked pained to have to spoil the perfection of this little scene, but with a glance and a gesture at the gas gauge, he began to pull through.

I don't know why, but this deeply disturbed me. It seemed somehow symbolic of my childhood being run over by the cares of adulthood. Ben tried to reassure me, "I'll go really slow and straddle the leaf," but after we crept through and looked back, the little boat was listing slowly to the side as the very edge of one prong broke the surface tension of the puddle.

I didn't say anything because what could I say? I knew it was just a leaf and just a puddle and I didn't really believe in fairies anymore. But something on my face must have shown the actual devastation that I was feeling.

My wonderful Ben put the truck in park, got out, and walked into the puddle, wetting his shoes, to scoop up my fairy boat, shake out the water, and set it sailing properly again.

When he got back in the car, I simply gave him a simple kiss. I didn't say anything because what could I say? It was no longer just a leaf and just a puddle, but a magical world where true love conquers all.

With him, it truly did.

No comments:

Post a Comment